Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sauna experience in Moscow

I can't believe I forgot to mention about my "banya" (sauna) experience in Moscow. Two days before we left Moscow, we treated ourselves to THE best banya place in Russia: Sanduniy. It was located across the street from where we were staying. So, after a long day of walking around town, we got ready for the banya and headed over, with our items in a plastic grocery bag (russian style...that's how its done here people). We paid 600 rubles each for the cheapest option: using the facilities, excluding any of the extras like: getting beaten with tree branches, body massage, full-body cleaning, etc. We would definately like to experience the above mentioned, but....in some smaller town where it won't cost as much. But, the Sanduniy experience was a must on our list of things to do in Moscow, so we did.
After purchasing an extra towel (at the advice of the staff member) for our hair, we stripped down to our birthday suit and followed her into the banya room for the tour. Basically this is the procedure:
1. Lay in Sauna for 5 min
2.Dunk body in a barrel full of cold water (3 times)
3. Swim in cool pool (too small to do laps, but water aerobics worked well)
4. Relax in sitting area

I did this cycle three times....we were there for two hours, and it was great! I exfoliated (which was amazing!), washed my hair in HOT water (where as there was only cold water at our hosts place) , and just plain 'ol had a special bonding experience with Russian women, and Jaime! It is a must when traveling in Russia ;)

The sauna was SO FLIPPIN hot.....I thought I was going to burn my face off when I walked up the wooden stairs to the sitting/laying area. The locals quickly told me to get down and lay flat on the wooden boards. So I layed my towel down and obeyed without hesitation. This is when I appreciated following the staff members advice about the hair towel. If I hadn't wrapped my hair in that towel, my wet hair probably would have scalded my head. Not fun. I lasted longer than Jaime (I WIN!), but got out when my Russian lady friend told me to (she was the one who told me to get down when I first got in). She quickly became my buddy, and I would go to her if I had any questions. Not gonna lie, it was really weird walking around naked with all these other Russian women, but...it didn't take long to get used to. lol...

The sitting area was pretty posh. We sat on long leather benches (with tall backs), in between the sauna cycle. You could bring your own food, or buy it. Some would read, others chat. This is definately a social activity for Russians. Men also go to the Banya, but they have their separate entrance and facilities.

I was so excited to see a blow dryer there! No more frizz and volume! I left that place feeling great: my skin smooth, my hair clean and styled, and my body relaxed. It was excellent! Oh, and on the guest wall, Pavel Buree's had autographed his photo and commented on his Sanduniy Banya experience, as well as the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Random.

If you want to hear my travel companion's experiences on this trip, check out her blog: jaimelauren.blogspot.com

There's lots I"m forgetting to blog about that she has probably written about. Plus, she is a great writer....and I'm sure you'd love to read about the trip from her perspective.

Till next time...

4 comments:

Lillie Turner said...

Alison! HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!
I love reading all about your adventures, I can totally hear your voice as I read along. I'm so thrilled for you and Jamie to get an opportunity to travel together first of all, secondly that you got to go to Russia, experience the culture, perfect your Russian, and have a wonderful time with the beautiful people there! Can't wait to see photos from the trip. We'll be following along and look forward to more of your adventures.

Nadja said...

Funny....you mean you have never been beaten by tree branches before??? How about small wooden structures or.....lets say even small animals...No?

Love the adventures of Alison...so proud of you for doing this trip....stay safe and have fun!!!

Unknown said...

It sure sounded like it was a pretty good trip, and I hope you enjoyed your sauna experience! Although saunas started coming out in Finland, many countries have adapted the tradition of heat rooms as part of their cultures. Part of the reason is because saunas provide a lot of health benefits. It can be a great bonding activity too, as you can do this with friends or your family.

Neil Dalby

Briella Allen said...

I'm wondering if anyone ever found out anything about these. I have one as well but come up short researching it.