Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Moscow-Perm

Moscow was a great place to start our adventure. Had a great time with my host family (Tatyanna, Volodya and Yuri) and were blessed with living so close to everything. We did LOTS of walking. I'm talking 10 hours/day approx. It was great. Saw beautiful buildings, got to watch a movie being filmed outside of an Orthodox church, ate authentic Russian food at "My My" (pronounced Moo Moo) and had: "katletiy, bliniy ctvorokom i cmyacom, shavely", etc. We also had Uzbekistan food. We found these two restaurants that we absolutely loved, so we ate there a few times each. And again, meeting people everywhere we went.

The first few days in Moscow it was a little confusing trying to figure out the Metro system, but by the end I was a pro! And Jaime's Russian reading skills are quickly improving, and so between the two of us, we got around no problem.

Lol...I have met many boys along this trip. Quite a few have asked to take a photo with me...I feel like a celebrity.

On Friday while standing in line to buy our train tickets, I overheard these two guys, standing behind us, talking about us. I turned around and said in Russian, " I understand everything you're saying". Lol...I love surprising people like that! We chatted a bit, and then it was my turn at the ticket window. As I was explaining what kind of ticket we wanted, I turned to them and said (again, in Russia), "Don't laugh at me." Lol. I'm having way too much fun at this point, and have no problem being direct, because...I'm Russian! A few minutes later, they met up with us, and went with us to Arbat Street. They weren't able to get the train they wanted, and having 3 hours before having to catch their bus, decided they'd come see if they could help us find out way. They traveled with us to Arbat street and hung out with us for a bit, before catching the bus home (they live out of town).

That same day, I had the opportunity to meet up with my friend Georgia (a friend from UVic), who was also in Moscow, visiting her friend. Together with Jaime, we walked down Arbat street, a well-known tourist area, where the local artists sell their goods. We walked for quite a bit in the heat, then rested to people watch for a bit. I love people watching. I love watching how people interact with one another, what they're wearing, etc... We carried on a little farther, and there I saw a man who I was drawn to. I approached him, a paraplegic man in his 50's, and just began talking to him. I wanted to find out his story. I soon became filled with compassion, as I thought how lonely he must be, and what his life must be like. He basically sits there 5 days a week, with a hat on his lap, hoping that people will give him money. He's saving money to get an operation. He already has 5,000 rubles, but is still waiting for another 5, 000. I called the two girls over, and after asking if I could pray for him, we stood around him and prayed. Prayed for his health, for healing, that people would see him and have compassion, and that the Holy Spirit's presence would be apparent to him. I started strong, but the Tishenko genes kicked in, and I started bawling. I opened my eyes quickly, and his eyes met mine. He was staring at me, open-eyed, as though he was in disbelief. That didn't help with the crying. I prayed mostly in English and then ended in Russia, trying my best to express myself in my second tongue. I felt such love for him....clearly God-given. I will never forget this man. Please join me in praying for him, Djenya.

Russia in a unique place. After hearing countless stories from my dad and his friends, I thought I knew what to expect. But, it's really hitting home now that I'm here, and in the middle of it all. People can be so rude. But at the same time there are beautiful, helpful people...super kind. I am losing my Canadian mindset more and more each day I'm here, and am becoming more Russian. As Jaime and I were conversing last night before bed, I realized how Russian I am. There have been many times where I've said something to Jaime in a commanding way, instead of politely, which is how a normal Canadian would be. Here's an example. Yesterday our Perm hosts took us around town after dinner, and we stopped at the Tchaikovsky Theatre to take some pictures (unfortunately, its closed for renos, so we can't see an opera). Jaime was taking some photos and then said to me," And then I'll take a photo of you in front of the theatre." And I responded with, "Yes you will". LOL....this is hilarious to me know, as I've come to realize how forward/commanding I can be, without even meaning to be harsh or mean, or rude. And often, its because I just use the least amount of words, just to get the thought across. I've been translating for her, so I've been saying pretty much everything twice, so if I can use less words, I will. So, maybe I should refer to myself as a Russian-Canadian......that might be more appropriate. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahahahahahahaha you're hilarious!
little did you know that you've always been very russian...you're demanding even if you're in Canada! hahahaha
I'm SO SO SO SO SO happy to hear that you're having a great time and that you're safe!! Oh....and nice work on the "tons of boys" that you've met so far!! Any come on a boat?
Keep me updated...

LOVE YOU AL!!