Thursday, August 21, 2008

Perm: I'm leaving a bit of my heart here

So much for keeping things in order, and trying to share my entire adventure. I really need to improve my summary skills. But for today, you're gonna get a little of everything. Just as it comes to mind. "Ladno?" (sound good/ok?)

I LOVE my host family here in Perm. They are such wonderful people, with the biggest hearts EVER. Nothing is a problem for them, they will bend over backwards for us, even if it puts them out. And this is so hard for me to see. I don't want any special treatment. But they won't have anything less than the best for us.

Jaime and I wanted to bless them, so yesterday, after dinner, we rushed to the nearby grocery store, and bought them ice cream treats, to eat while watching "Kung Fu Panda" in Russian. We explained to them that in Canada, we have something called "Family Night", where we get together as a family, and spend the evening together. They thought this was excellent, and were so blown away by this gesture. We gathered in the living room, around the small TV, and enjoyed an evening together. I could see the girls (Polina-8, Anya-16) especially enjoyed it, from their happy faces. It was so nice to have the opportunity to bless them with something little like that.

I've so enjoyed the conversations we've had with Olya and Sasha (the parents). Every night we're in bed much later than we had hoped to be.....there's always something to talk about. And I don't want to end the conversations, but at the same time, we need to sleep! Like last night, we probably could have talked all night.

As each day passes, I feel more at ease in this country, and the desire to be here increases. Today, Marina (I'll tell you about her in a second) told me that I look Russian...I blend in well (there you go, Dad), and that my Russian speaking skills are excellent. This I love to hear! :) I am speaking and understanding Russian SO much better than I was, even just a week ago. It's crazy how quickly words have come back and how I'm retaining new words. BIG learning curve. And translating pretty much everything for Jaime has also helped with understanding the Russian language better. My grammar has really improved....family, you would be impressed! I'm sad you won't get to see me after the trip :(

Perm is much smaller than Moscow. I pictured Perm to be a larger city, like Moscow. But I like the more simple feel of the city....not so busy and touristy. We'll be here for 6 days in all...leaving this Sunday, after church.

Oh my goodness....just remembered. So, I've done some singing whilst in Perm. Polina is a fan of kareoke, SO....the two of us have been showing off our talents, singing away in their living room (where Jaime and I have been staying...on their hide-a-beds). LOL...so much fun! The first time, I chose a song called "Tvoya Lyoobov" (Your Love), and quickly learned it/made up my own melody. I got Polina to record me on my digital camera, so that I could show you my amazing Russian Kareoke skills (one of my many skills). I also recorded her singing her lungs out. So cute. Oh, lol....and I discovered she had "Ave Maria" on one of her disks, so Jaime and I sang it for her (full on Opera style, no holding back). Part way through the song, she had her hands covering her ears and was saying "when is the song going to end?" Clearly she doesn't appreciate real talent. :)

I've really connected with our hosts here, and am disappointed that we have such little time with them :( Tonight we head to the YWAM base (40 min outside of town by bus), where we will stay till Sunday. Jaime's going to do a wack of photography for the staff there, and then on Saturday we're attending a wedding, at which she will be the photographer! She's pretty excited about that, as am I about attending a REAL Russian wedding (been to a lot back home in Vernon, but...those aren't "real" Russian weddings).

Alrightee....well, I'm starving. So, I'm thinking we'll stop by this little cafe where they sell "bliniy" (crepes), 18 rubles each (about $0.85 CAD), to keep me going for a bit.

The exchange rate is approx. 20 rubles to $1 CAN

Here's an idea of approximately how much things cost here in Perm (haven't bought a lot):
Bus ride- 10 rubles (r)
1 hour at internet cafe- 50r
Ice cream treats- 20r
Fancy crepe (with meat/ or cottage cheese inside)- 70r
DVD- 210r
High Heels- 1000r

Compared to Moscow:
Metro (10 times pass)- 180r
Freshly squeezed glass of orange juice- 260r (work that one out...it'll shock you!)
Russian meal at "My My" (moo moo)- approx. 400r
Internet cafe- 60 r
Mango slushie at McDonalds- 210r

K...gotta go!
With love, from Russia
xxoo

No comments: